Remember last Friday when I talked about Stan Kasten leaving and how I thought there was more afoot? Well, the rumor is that he left because ownership didn’t want to commit money to the team (sigh), and that it centered around re-signing Adam Dunn. The confusing thing is that it’s also been intimated that ownership are the only ones who want Dunn back. So which is it? Who knows, but either way it seems like a complete mess in the front office right now. I hope it’s all just a bunch of rumor-mongering, but it’s disconcerting.
The Nats paid the Phils back last night, thanks to, of course, Adam Dunn. I know the guy’s defense isn’t the greatest, but I don’t have the most faith in Chris Marerro making an impact at the major league level. I think a three-year deal would be worth it for Dunn.
Oh, Jason Marquis pitched a real gem last night, too: 6 IP, 7 H, 1 run, 7 K. It’s about time that the guy looked like that.
I’ve added two new pages at the top of the home page: Top 9 Most Wanted and Collecting Goals. Both are ways of getting more organized and smarter about how and what I collect, with the former inspired by Night Owl’s suggestion about starting a “most wanted” page.
Okay now for the round-up…
- The Sandlot talked about his first baseball card (hint: it wasn’t a Met).
- Night Owl talked about his brush with Bob Shaw.
- 30-Year-Old Cardboard celebrated the last of Tony Gwynn’s batting titles.
- Core Contrarian celebrated Expo Grant Jackson’s birthday and lamented Grant Jackson’s broken arm.
- Beardy created some more cards for the excellent 2010 UD Masterpieces set.
- Play at the Plate detailed Wal-Mart’s new card layout and packsearcher deterrent.
- Condition: Poor covered the continuing quest for the 1960 Topps set.
- Mark’s Ephemera looked at some fascinating items in the 2010 Huggins and Scott auction catalog.
- I Am Joe Collector’s saga with the damaged case of cards continues. Topps customer service is still an issue, I see…
- Waxaholic had some interesting random numbers.
- Carl Crawford cards had a great post about Longoria and Price blasting Rays fans.
- The Greatest 21 Days covered Tim Sherrill.
- VOTC at the Card Corner Club updated us on Topps’ new replacement plan.
- kdubya8 at Mojo and Beardy’s site talked about collecting his 1980 white whales.
- Eutaw Street Cardboard got a Randy Miller autograph.
Stay safe out there, kids!